Preventive Dental Care
Prevention is the cornerstone of long-term oral health. In order to develop a functional preventative care plan, you, Dr. Nussbaum, and the staff at Michael Nussbaum, DDS will engage in a collaborative effort to preserve your natural teeth, support healthy oral structures and tissues, and prevent the onset and/or progression of disease and decay. For some of the best preventative dental care in Austin, visit the dedicated team at Michael Nussbaum, DDS.
What Is Preventative Care?
When it comes to preventative dental care, you and your Austin dentist will determine how many cleanings you need on an annual basis to maintain optimal wellness. Preventative dental exams include:
- Gingival Health Examination: During this portion of your exam, Dr. Nussbaum and your hygienist will measure your gum pockets and screen for any signs of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Professional Cleaning: The extent of your professional cleaning will depend on the current state of your oral health and the presence, or lack thereof, of dental diseases like periodontal disease.
- X-Rays: X-rays allow Dr. Nussbaum to see cavities, cracks, and other anomalies that are not visible to the naked eye require attention to protect your long-term oral health. Depending on your current state of wellness, you may need x-rays once or twice per year.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Oral cancer screenings aren’t just crucial to your oral health but your overall health. Oral cancer can be life-threatening if not detected early, which is why Dr. Nussbaum will perform an oral cancer screening during your preventative exam.
While brushing and flossing go a long way to protecting your oral health, they aren’t always enough on their own. There are some preventative treatments that we offer outside of regular exams. Sealants and fluoride treatments help protect your long-term oral health by taking preventative measures to protect your oral structures.
- Sealants: Sealants are a protective layer that guards the nooks and crannies of your molars to prevent bacteria from getting stuck and building up, leading to tooth decay.
- Fluoride: Fluoride has gotten a bad reputation recently, but these treatments protect your teeth from decay by fortifying the enamel layer. This outer layer protects your teeth from cavities and bacteria build-up.
At-Home Preventative Measures
There are steps you can take at home to support your long-term oral health.
Preventative care isn’t always as easy as it seems. Don’t just hope for the best with it comes to your oral health—oral health and total-body wellness are intrinsically linked, and at Michael Nussbaum, DDS, we aren’t just here to care for your teeth; we’re here to care for you.
Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation Today
We know that you have a choice when it comes to choosing your Austin dentist, and we’re honored that you’ve chosen Michael Nussbaum, DDS! Use our contact form below to let us know what you’re interested in, and we’ll reach out to you as soon as possible to get you on our schedule.