What is bruxism?
Bruxism is the condition of grinding or clenching your teeth. Although it is a common sleep condition, grinding or clenching your teeth is not solely a sleep problem. Some people will grind and clench their teeth when they are anxious, cold, angry, or concentrating.
If you notice that you are grinding or clenching your teeth or are frequently suffering from jaw muscle or head pain, you should schedule an appointment with Dr. Nussbaum. Bruxism is a serious condition that you should treat.
What causes bruxism?
Specific causes of bruxism are unknown, but according to the National Sleep Foundation, certain risk factors include:
If you are nervous about sedation, you have options that don’t use any medication. The end goal of sedation dentistry is to make you feel relaxed and comfortable enough to receive the necessary care you need. Our whole dental team is committed to being your advocate and partner in health, and our entire staff is here to provide you with the support you need.
Depending on the type of sedation dentistry you receive, you will need someone to drive you home.
Are you ready to finally take your dental care into your own hands? Call Michael Nussbaum, DDS today at (512) 334-6811 to schedule your appointment!
Why treating bruxism is important
Not treating bruxism can lead to other problems that can impact your overall health and can lead to costly restorative procedures down the road. Catching and treating the problem will not only save you the literal headache, but it will also help preserve your natural teeth and improve your oral health and wellness. Resulting issues can include:
- Temporomandibular joint or TMJ disorder
- Chipping, cracking, and fracturing of your teeth
- Receding gums & tooth loss
Because chronic bruxism can lead to other issues such as TMJ, watching out for the symptoms of TMJ is important to maintaining optimal wellness. Please visit our page on TMJ treatment in Austin to learn more.
Treatment for bruxism
At Michael Nussbaum, DDS, we pride ourselves on offering you the latest innovations in treatment. The following treatment options are available at our Austin dental office.
- Mouthguards—mouthguards are an effective treatment for bruxism, particularly for people who clench and grind their teeth during the night. Mouthguards help stabilize your bite, protect your teeth, and prevent the temporomandibular joint from being irritated.
- Kois Deprogrammer—this device is a removable device that covers your hard palate and allows your lower jaw to relax into an ideal position that will ideally relax your temporomandibular joint.
- Botox for Bruxism near Austin Tx—Botox® is made out of the botulinum toxin, which stops the signals that are sent from your nerves from reaching your facial muscles, effectively paralyzing the muscles that Botox® is injected into. This helps protect your jaw joints and prevent you from grinding and clenching your teeth while leaving you enough functionality and mobility to chew and speak normally.
How much does bruxism treatment cost?
The cost of your bruxism treatment will depend on the treatment path you and Dr. Nussbaum takes. For an individualized treatment quote, call Michael Nussbaum, DDS today to start your treatment plan.
If you’re experiencing jaw or facial pain from bruxism, it’s time to do something about it. You don’t have to live a life encumbered by persistent pain. Call Dr. Nussbaum, your trusted Bruxism and TMJ specialist in Austin Texas, today at (512) 334-6811 or request an appointment online to start living your best life.