Preventive Dental Care
Prevention is the cornerstone of long-term oral health. In order to develop a functional preventative care plan, you, Dr. Nussbaum, and the staff at 360 Dental Care will engage in a collaborative effort to preserve your natural teeth, support healthy oral structures and tissues, and prevent the onset and/or progression of disease and decay. For some of the best preventative dental care in Austin, visit the dedicated team at 360 Dental Care.
What is preventative care?
When it comes to preventative dental care, you and your Austin dentist will determine how many cleanings you need on an annual basis to maintain optimal wellness. Preventative dental exams include:
- Gingival health examination: During this portion of your exam, Dr. Nussbaum and your hygienist will measure your gum pockets and screen for any signs of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Professional cleaning: The extent of your professional cleaning will depend on the current state of your oral health and the presence, or lack thereof, of dental diseases like periodontal disease.
- X-rays: X-rays allow Dr. Nussbaum to see cavities, cracks, and other anomalies are not visible to the naked eye require attention to protect your long-term oral health. Depending on your current state of wellness, you will may need x-rays once or twice per year.
- Oral cancer screening: Oral cancer screenings aren’t just important to your oral health but to your overall health. Oral cancer can be life-threatening if not detected early which is why Dr. Nussbaum will perform an oral cancer screening during your preventative exam.
While brushing and flossing go a long way to protecting your oral health, they aren’t always enough on their own. There are some preventative treatments that we offer outside of regular exams. Sealants and fluoride treatments help protect your long-term oral health by taking preventative measures to protect your oral structures.
- Sealants: Sealants are a protective layer that guards the nooks and crannies of your molars to prevent bacteria from getting stuck and building up, leading to tooth decay.
- Fluoride: Fluoride has gotten a bad reputation recently, but these treatments protect your teeth from decay by fortifying the enamel layer. This outer layer protects your teeth from cavities and bacteria build-up.
At-home preventative measures
There are steps you can take at home to support your long-term oral health.
- Daily brushing and flossing
- Healthy, balanced diet
- Avoid tobacco products
- Bi-annual exams and cleanings
Preventative care isn’t always as easy as it seems. Don’t just hope for the best with it comes to your oral health—oral health and total-body wellness are intrinsically linked, and at 360 Dental Care, we aren’t just here to care for your teeth; we’re here to care for you.
If you’re ready to get the most out of your preventative dental care, call Dr. Nussbaum, your trusted Austin dentist, today at (512) 327-3631 or request your appointment online.